Michael Davenport, bass clarinet – Kimberly Davenport, piano
July 2019: I am saddened to share the news of Michael’s passing, bringing to an end the performing activities of this father/daughter duo. I will continue the Duo’s work through Alea Publishing, providing artistic transcriptions and new works for bass clarinet to students and performers around the world.
About the Duo
Critically acclaimed duo Michael & Kimberly Davenport built a repertoire of new music from around the world, and were dedicated to bringing that music to audiences through performance, recording, and publishing. Duo Alea’s performances and recordings brought local and world premieres of several important works for bass clarinet & piano.
Michael Davenport was a performing bass clarinetist since the early 1960s until his death in 2019. He has worked as a symphony musician as well as a bass clarinet soloist.
Kimberly Davenport has worked as a professional musician since her pre-teen years, with extensive work as a collaborative artist. She studied piano performance at the University of Washington (BA/BM) and Northwestern University (MM), the latter’s fine music library serving as a primary source for early additions to the Duo’s repertoire.
Visit the Video/Audio page to listen and buy the Duo’s recordings!
Duo Alea: Duo Recital
Vienna Prague Moscow Tacoma: Music from the Heart
- CD Review, The Clarinet, June 2004
- “Congratulations to your “Music from the Heart”. Repertoire and
performance, balance and colour are wonderful! I enjoy[ed] it indeed.”
Josef Horak, Czech bass clarinetist
Chaconne: Recital for Bass Clarinet & Piano
- CD Review, The Clarinet, June 2003
- CD Review, Clarinet and Saxophone Magazine, Winter 2002
- “I received my copy of the new Davenport CD – featuring Michael Davenport on Bass Clarinet and Kim Davenport on Piano. Fabulous CD – well worth your investing in. I especially enjoy the Hindemith Bassoon Sonata played on Bass Clarinet – some very tricky stuff there. If you want to hear some preeminent bass clarinet virtuosity and some wonderful piano playing – I recommend it highly!”
Roger Garrett, Professor of Clarinet, Illinois Wesleyan University
Music for Bass Clarinet & Piano
- CD Review, Australian Clarinet & Saxophone, 2001
- “THANK YOU MOST CORDIALLY for your CD with Metathesis. IT IS EXCELLENT! From all points of view: wonderful interpretation with inspired feeling of music, wonderful sound and recording, and charming design of the CD! I am very happy to have it.”
Vaclav Kucera, Czech composer
- “You [gave] me a great pleasure with your new CD. I love your bass clarinet sound, and your pianist is very good. My congratulations to [you] both!”
Ivana Loudova, Czech composer
- “Thanks a lot for the CD. I really like your playing and your musical version of Triptych. You and Kimberly are a great musical duo!”
Rolf Martinsson, Swedish composer
- “What an excellent performance…and a GREAT CD! Suffice to say that I am very flattered by such wonderful playing and happy to have in my possession the copy that you sent. Again THANK YOU VERY MUCH and CONGRATULATIONS!”
Richard Gibson, Canadian composer